When an unexpected tragedy strikes and a loved one has lost their life due to the negligence of another, it can be overwhelming and devastating. In such cases, it is important to seek out legal help from a wrongful death attorney in Riverside, who is experienced in handling these types of claims. You may be eligible to receive financial compensation for the loss of your loved one, and an experienced attorney can help you pursue that compensation.
At Pathway Law Firm, we understand how difficult it is to cope with wrongful death. We strive to provide compassionate and personalized legal representation while ensuring that each client understands their rights and gets the justice they deserve.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in wrongful death law and will work diligently to protect your rights. We also understand that this is a difficult time for you and your family, so we will take the time to listen to all of your concerns and answer any questions you may have.
What Is Considered a Wrongful Death?
A wrongful death occurs when a person is killed due to another’s negligence or intentional actions. This can include accidents involving automobiles, medical malpractice, defective products, workplace accidents, or any other type of negligence that results in a fatality.
How Can a Riverside Wrongful Death Attorney Help?
The most tragic result of someone else’s carelessness is wrongful death, and here at our law firm, we will not let families suffering from this injustice lie down and accept it. If another person’s carelessness resulted in your loved one’s death, you and your family might be entitled to justice, answers, closure, and compensation.
Hiring a Riverside personal injury attorney with experience in wrongful death cases increases your chances of winning against one or more at-fault parties. While your family grieves and tries to heal, your lawyer can handle the complicated legal aspects of your case. Here are some of the things that our attorneys can do for you:
- Investigate the case to build a strong legal strategy for your wrongful death claim.
- Collect evidence such as medical records, police reports, witness testimony, and any other information that could be useful to your case as proof of negligence
- Calculate the economic and non-economic damages to which you and your family could be entitled.
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to get a fair settlement for your claim.
- Represent you in court if your case goes to trial.
- Determine the defendants in your case and hold them accountable for their actions.
Your lawyer will be familiar with California’s legal processes for filing this type of claim and can guide you during this difficult time. With the help of a Riverside wrongful death lawyer, you can receive just compensation for your tragic loss that an insurance company would never give you on your own.
Types of Wrongful Death Claims We Handle
If you are looking for the best wrongful death lawyer Riverside, be sure to find one with experience in handling the type of accident that killed your loved one. A lawyer’s experience in the specific legal areas and cases relevant to your claim will give you the best chance of recovering adequate compensation. Pathway Law Firm specializes in a wide variety of wrongful death cases, including those involving:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Product liability
- Aviation accidents
- Premises liability
- Workplace accidents
- Abuse or neglect
- Accidental poisoning
- Construction accidents
- Criminal activity
- Mesothelioma/asbestos exposure
- Truck accidents
Our Riverside wrongful death attorneys are committed to fighting negligence in our community – especially when it results in fatalities. If you file a wrongful death claim or survival action in Riverside, the negligent party will be held accountable for their actions. In addition, your family will have the chance to gain financial stability and start moving forward.
Proving a Wrongful Death Claim in Riverside
The burden of proving a wrongful death claim rests with the plaintiffs – in this case, the deceased’s family. To prove negligence in Riverside, California, four elements must be present. These are:
- The defendant had a duty of care to the deceased party;
- The defendant breached that duty of care;
- The defendant’s breach caused the deceased party’s injury or death;
- The family suffered damages as a result.
To establish that the defendant is liable for their actions, your Riverside wrongful death lawyer will need to gather evidence and build a strong case for your claim. This includes collecting witness statements, medical records, photos of the accident scene, and any other evidence that could be used to prove negligence. Your attorney can also help you calculate the economic and non-economic damages you could receive.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Riverside?
In California, only specific people have the legal right to file a wrongful death claim. In California, the Code of Civil Procedure 377.60 limits who can file a wrongful death lawsuit to specific relatives of the deceased person. If you are not one of these qualifying parties or the representative of the estate, then you, unfortunately, may not be able to seek damages for wrongful death.
- A surviving spouse or domestic partner of the decedent
- Children of the decedent
- Stepchildren of the decedent
- Grandchildren of the decedent (if the children of the decedent are deceased)
- Parents of the decedent
- Putative spouse (former fiance) of the decedent
- Anyone who would be entitled to the property of the decedent by intestate succession
How Can You Find the Right Wrongful Death Attorney for You and Your Family?
When looking for the right wrongful death attorney to represent you and your family, consider the following factors:
- Experience – Look for a lawyer who has experience handling wrongful death cases and is familiar with the laws in your state. Our attorneys are well-versed in the laws and regulations governing wrongful death cases and will work tirelessly to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Reputation – Find out if an attorney has a good reputation among their peers and clients, as well as if they have any positive online reviews or ratings.
- Availability – Make sure that the attorney can make time to meet with you, discuss your case and provide updates throughout the process. Consider how long the attorney has been practising law and if they have a full caseload or are able to accommodate new clients.
- Compassion – It is important to choose an attorney who can empathize with your situation and treat you and your family respectfully. We understand that this is an emotional time for you and your family, and we strive to provide compassionate legal representation throughout the process.
What Damages are Available in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Riverside?
In California, the statute regarding wrongful death is less specific when it comes to the financial compensation that surviving family members can receive after successfully proving a wrongful death occurred.
The law protects anyone who may be entitled to “just” damages in a wrongful death case. In California, many different people can sue for wrongful death, including spouses, children, stepchildren, parents and other potential heirs.
Each party’s right to damages after death will differ depending on their unique losses. The law gives courts the power to decide who gets what damages. Without examining your personal situation, it is difficult to estimate the potential compensation you could receive.
The damages covered include:
- Medical and funeral expenses
- Lost wages of the deceased, i.e. The average income and benefits the deceased person would have earned had they not died in the accident.
- Loss of love, companionship, and emotional support
- Pain and suffering the deceased may have endured
- Loss of inheritance rights
- Punitive damages (in certain cases)
- Loss of financial support for the family
- The intangible losses you experience when your loved one dies, including love and affection, moral support, attention, and more.
Speak to a Wrongful Death Lawyer Riverside Today
The attorneys at Pathway Law Firm understand how devastating it can be when a family member passes away due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. We are here to help guide you through the legal process and ensure that you receive the justice your loved one deserves.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in wrongful death cases and are well-versed in California’s laws. We are dedicated to providing personalized legal representation and will fight for you and your family every step of the way.
If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We are here to answer all your questions and help you get the compensation your family needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Riverside Wrongful Death Attorney After the Loss of a Loved One?
Hiring an attorney after the loss of a loved one can provide you with many benefits. An experienced attorney will know the laws and regulations governing wrongful death cases and will be able to provide you with the guidance and protection needed in order to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your losses. A wrongful death attorney will be able to advise you on the best course of action and ensure that your rights are protected. Additionally, an attorney can handle all aspects of the case, from filing paperwork to negotiating settlement amounts with insurance companies.
What Should You Do if You Have Lost Someone Due to Another Person’s Negligence or Recklessness?
If you have lost someone due to another person’s negligence or recklessness, it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible. A wrongful death attorney will be able to review the facts of your case and advise you on the best course of action. Additionally, an attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Can You Sue for Wrongful Death in Riverside, California?
Yes, you can file a wrongful death claim in Riverside, California. Under state law, any family member or dependent of the deceased has the right to sue for wrongful death. Depending on your unique situation, you may be able to seek compensation for medical and funeral expenses, lost wages, loss of love and companionship, emotional distress, and other damages.