One of the most common questions that our Bakersfield car accident law office gets is how much the average car accident settlement is in California.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as an “average” settlement because each case is unique, and the number of damages sustained by the victim will vary greatly from one case to the next.
At Pathway Law Firm, our experienced Bakersfield car accident lawyers have obtained settlements and verdicts for our clients that range from a few thousand dollars to over $1 million.
If you are unsure what your case is worth or how much you should expect to receive in a settlement, the best thing to do is contact our office for a free consultation. Our Bakersfield car accident lawyers will review your case and give you an honest assessment of what we believe it is worth.
After Consultation Comes Action
A free, no-obligation consultation with our California car accident attorneys is just the first step in getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Once you hire us, we will immediately investigate your accident, gather evidence, and interview witnesses.
We will also handle all of the paperwork and deal directly with the insurance companies so that you can focus on your recovery. If a settlement cannot be reached, we are not afraid to take your case to trial and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Our Approach to Evidence Collection and Proving Liability in Your Car Accident Case
To obtain the best possible settlement for your car accident and personal injury claim, it is important that we have as much evidence as possible to support your claim.
This evidence can come in many forms, but some of the most common types of evidence that our lawyers will look for include:
- Police reports
- Eyewitness testimony
- Surveillance footage
- Expert witness testimony
- Photographs and videos
- Medical records
If you have any of this type of evidence, be sure to bring it with you when you come in for your free consultation. If you do not have any of this evidence, do not worry – our experienced car accident lawyers will know how to find it.
To prove fault in a car accident case, our lawyers will use this evidence to establish that the other driver was negligent and that their negligence was the cause of your accident and injuries. This can be done by showing that the other driver was speeding, driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, texting while driving, or engaging in some other type of reckless or careless behavior.
Once we have established that the other driver was at fault, we will then work to prove the extent of your damages. This will involve obtaining your medical records and other documentation to show the cost of your medical treatment, the extent of your injuries, and the effect the accident has had on your life.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
There is a multitude of reasons why car accidents occur. Some of the most common for California roadways include:
- Texting & Driving: Texting while driving is one of the most prevalent forms of distracted driving. When a driver is engaged in any activity that diverts their attention from the operation of their motor vehicle, the risk of being in an accident increases exponentially.
- Inclement Weather: Inclement weather, such as heavy rain and strong winds, is a frequent contributor to car accidents. These conditions cause poor visibility, hydroplaning, and loss of vehicle control.
- Drugs & Alcohol: When a driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, their reaction time decreases and they suffer from impaired ability to think and reason.
- Aggressive & Reckless Driving: Aggressive and reckless driving includes speeding, tailgating, failing to comply with traffic signals, and illegal passing of another vehicle.
- Unsafe Road Conditions: Roadways require regular maintenance or they may become eroded and riddled with potholes.
- Mechanical Defects: When a part of a motor vehicle does not properly perform its function an accident may result. Sometimes car manufacturers and service companies can be held liable for accidents.
Types of Bakersfield Car Accidents
There are many types of car accidents handled by our firm, including:
- Uber and Lyft Accidents: Accidents involving rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft can be particularly troublesome due to the atypical way the insurance coverage is structured.
- Auto vs. Scooter Accidents: As the presence of scooters is increasing in urban areas, so are accidents between these scooters and typical motor vehicles.
- Pedestrian-Involved Accidents: Injuries received by pedestrians when they are involved in an accident with a motor vehicle tend to be catastrophic.
Compensation for Your Injuries for Bakersfield Residents
The compensation you are entitled to receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the impact they have had on your life. Some of the types of damages that our clients have recovered in car accident settlements include:
- Past and future medical expenses: Including emergency treatment, hospitalization, surgery, medication, rehabilitation, and psychological counseling
- Lost wages: To take care of bills and other financial obligations while you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering: For the physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish caused by the accident
- Disability: For injuries that result in a permanent disability
- Permanent disfigurement: For injuries that result in scars or other physical deformities
- Property damage: To repair or replace your vehicle if it was damaged in the accident
Our goal is to get you the full and fair compensation that you deserve for your injuries.
Punitive Damages in California Car Accident Cases
In some cases, our clients are also entitled to punitive damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the negligent driver for their actions and to deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
To be eligible for punitive damages, it must be shown that the other driver was acting with gross negligence or malice. This can be proven by showing that the driver was intoxicated, had a history of reckless driving, or was engaging in other behavior that showed a wanton disregard for human life.
If you are eligible for punitive damages, our lawyers will fight to get you the maximum amount of compensation possible.
The Insurance Company is Not on Your Side
After a car accident, it is common for the insurance company to try and lowball you with an initial settlement offer. They may even try to deny your claim altogether.
You should never accept the first settlement offer from the insurance company without first consulting with an experienced car accident lawyer. Our car accident lawyers will negotiate with the insurance company to get you the full and fair compensation you deserve.
If the insurance company refuses to give you a fair settlement, our lawyers will not hesitate to take your case to trial. We have a proven track record of success in court and will fight for you every step.
Time is Of the Essence in California Car Accident Claims
In California, you only have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit.
If you wait too long to file your lawsuit, you may be barred from recovering any compensation for your injuries. That is why it is so important to contact our law firm as soon as possible after your accident.
Our lawyers will thoroughly investigate your case, collect all of the necessary evidence, and file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires.
No Upfront Costs or Fees – Contact a Bakersfield Car Accident Lawyer Today
Part of our commitment to our clients is that we will never charge you any upfront costs or fees for our legal services. We only get paid if we are able to recover compensation for your injuries.
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact Pathway Law Firm today. We understand how a car accident can turn your world upside down. Our team provides the assertive representation you need to recover the compensation you deserve. Our clients are our priority, and we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.