Major cities throughout California have seen a large increase in electric scooters in recent years through companies such as Bird and Lime. Unfortunately, their rise in popularity means that accidents involving automobiles and scooters are also on the rise. At Pathway Law Firm, PC, we have the knowledge and skill needed to provide our clients that have been injured in accidents involving automobiles and scooters with the comprehensive and detailed representation they need to obtain the compensation they desire.
How Do Electric Scooter Share Programs Operate?
When a person wants to rent an electric scooter through companies like Bird and Lime, they simply download an app on their smartphone. Through the app, they are able to locate and unlock an available scooter. Once they have reached their destination, they are also able to lock the scooter and leave it for the next renter. Payment is made through the app as well.
Why Are Electric Scooters So Popular?
- Convenience: Scooters are conveniently located throughout city streets and can maneuver through congested areas. Their small size also means it isn’t difficult to find a place to leave the scooter once you are finished riding it.
- A Green Alternative: For persons concerned about the environment the scooter is a smart choice. It uses significantly less fuel than a car and produces substantially less carbon emissions.
- Ease of Use: Unlike motorcycles, most scooters are very easy to ride. There are no gears to shift. Instead, simply turn it on and go.
What Are Common Causes of Auto vs. Scooter Accidents?
- Distracted Drivers: While a distracted driver is a danger to anyone on the road, they are especially dangerous to persons riding a scooter as a 30 lb scooter is no match for a 3,000 lb motor vehicle. Also, a person on a scooter has no protection like a motor vehicle driver.
- Scooter Malfunction: There are thousands of scooters being used across California. Los Angeles alone has over 26,000. With that many scooters there are bound to be malfunctions such as handlebar collapses and brake failures.
- Loss of Control of Scooter: Scooter drivers are sometimes careless in the operation of the scooter and engage in dangerous activities like riding against traffic, weaving in and out of lanes of traffic, and riding two to a scooter. These exploits can cause the scooter driver to lose control of the scooter.
- Collisions at Intersections: Many car and scooter accidents occur at intersections. From left turns to running red lights, intersections are a hotspot for dangerous situations.
Injured In a Scooter Accident? Contact Us Today
If you have been injured in an auto vs. scooter accident, contact Pathway Law Firm today. We understand how an accident can disrupt your life and provide detail-oriented representation to recover the compensation you deserve. Our clients are our priority, and we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. And, as always, we don’t collect any money from you until your case successfully concludes in either a settlement or verdict through the courts.