Did you know that you can claim damages if you’re hurt in a bicycle accident? There are many types of compensation available depending on the severity of your injuries, regardless of how minor they may seem.
No one plans on being in an accident, but if you or a loved one have been injured while riding your bicycle, it’s worth pursuing financial compensation. The right bicycle accident lawyer in Riverside will help you get the most out of your claim and get you the money you need to cover medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
At Pathway Law Firm, our Riverside bicycle accident lawyers have extensive experience handling all types of personal injury claims, from minor injuries to catastrophic injuries. We know how to deal with insurance companies and get you the maximum compensation possible.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle accident, call us today for a free consultation. We’ll review your case and advise you on the best course of action. There’s no obligation to hire us, and we only get paid if we win your case.
What to Do When You’re in a Bicycle Accident in Riverside
In the unfortunate event that you are in a bike accident, do not try to communicate with the driver or any other involved parties. It is fruitless to determine who was at fault; instead, get yourself and your bicycle off of the road. Be sure to document everything by taking photos while you wait for law enforcement to arrive on the scene.
It’s also important to seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you don’t think you’re seriously injured. Many injuries, such as concussions and whiplash, may not be immediately apparent. It’s important to get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible so that you can document your injuries and begin the healing process.
Once you have taken steps to protect your health, gathering evidence can be key in helping your personal injury attorney build a strong case. To help with this process, it is advised that you:
- Get the contact information of all parties involved, as well as any witnesses.
- Take photos of the accident scene, your injuries, and any damage to your bicycle.
- Get a copy of the police report.
- Keep track of all medical bills, treatments, and missed work.
- If you are able to do so, avoid speaking to insurance companies about the accident. Contact a personal injury attorney first, as insurance companies will likely try to lowball you on a settlement.
Why You Need a Riverside Bicycle Accident Attorney After an Accident
While you are not required to have an attorney after a bicycle accident, working with one can give you a significant advantage, including:
Negotiating With Insurance Companies on Your Behalf
After an accident, you will likely be contacted by insurance companies looking to settle your case quickly and for as little money as possible. An experienced attorney can help you negotiate with insurance companies and get you the full compensation you deserve.
Getting You the Compensation You Deserve
Many types of compensation are available to accident victims, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. An experienced attorney will know how to get you the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit, if Necessary
If you are unable to reach a fair settlement with the insurance company, your attorney can file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf. This may be necessary if you have suffered serious injuries or extensive property damage.
Protecting Your Rights
The legal process after an accident can be confusing and overwhelming. An experienced attorney will know how to protect your rights and help you navigate the legal system.
The Necessities for Creating a Strong Claim if You’re in a Bicycle Accident in Riverside
If you are planning to file a lawsuit as an injured cyclist after being involved in a bicycle accident, you will need several key components to build a strong case. As mentioned earlier, one of the things to do is to keep track of all documents related to the accident.
You should also seek guidance from a bicycle accident lawyer, as they will help ensure you have all the necessary documentation to build a solid case. The following items are what you will need to collect if you find yourself in such an accident:
- Be sure to take pictures of the accident scene, including your bicycle and any injuries you may have sustained, as well as any motor vehicles involved.
- Keep a record of all medical bills and documentation related to treatment.
- Instead of replacing or repairing your bicycle, get a written estimate of the repair cost or the cost of buying a new one.
- Ensure to get the contact information of any drivers and witnesses at the scene.
- Verifying your lost wages will be necessary if you have been unable to work since your accident.
- If your accident is serious and you need help with devices or physical therapy, you will have to provide evidence.
- Obtain evidence of the emotional suffering the accident caused you.
Ways You Can Be Compensated for a Bicycle Accident Injury Riverside
In California, you may be eligible for compensation for a wide range of damages resulting from a bicycle accident injury. Here is a non-exhaustive list of some of the potential damage awards:
- Wages you lost because of your bicycle injury accident.
- Any medical bills related to the accident, including future expected bills
- Pain and suffering you experienced because of your injuries
- Emotional anguish or trauma related to the accident
- Any damage to property, such as a bicycle
- Loss of consortium or companionship if your spouse or child was injured in the accident
- Any impairment to your cycling ability, whether you’re a professional racer or someone who simply makes a living from cycling, can be detrimental to your career.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
What to Look For In a Riverside Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
You should always consult with an experienced bicycle accident attorney anytime you are injured in a bicycle crash. But, when meeting with an attorney for the first time, it is important to ask the right questions to ensure you are hiring the best possible advocate for your case. Here are some key questions to ask:
- How long have you been handling bicycle accident cases?
- What is the average settlement or verdict you have obtained for your clients in similar cases?
- What are the specific details of a few similar cases you have handled?
- Do you regularly represent cyclists, or was my case just assigned to you?
- What is your strategy for handling my case?
- What are the estimated legal fees, and will I be responsible for any upfront costs?
- How often will you communicate with me about the status of my case?
- What is the likely outcome of my case?
While no attorney can predict an exact outcome, an experienced bicycle accident lawyer can give you a good idea of what to expect.
The Law is on Your Side – Get Compensation For Your Bike Accident
Do not be discouraged if the insurance company denies your claim or tries to lowball you. The law is on your side, and an experienced Riverside bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are fairly compensated for your injuries.
Contact a riverside bicycle accident attorney at Pathway Law for a free consultation to discuss your case.