As more and more people become aware of the dangers of distracted driving, it’s important to have an experienced attorney on your side if you’re involved in an accident caused by a distracted driver. Distracted driving accidents can be devastating, and victims often face costly medical bills and other damages.
A skilled distracted driving accident attorney understands the financial and emotional toll these accidents can take on victims and their families. They can help you explore your legal options, such as filing a personal injury lawsuit, to seek compensation for the damages suffered. This blog will give a comprehensive overview of distracted driving, provide guidance on how to find a qualified attorney, and discuss the types of damages you may be able to recover.
What Is Distracted Driving?
Distracted driving occurs when a driver is not paying full attention to the road and its conditions. This can be due to distractions such as eating, texting, talking on the phone, adjusting the radio, or attending to children in the backseat.
Distracted driving accidents can have devastating consequences. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 3,166 people were killed in 2017 due to distracted driving. Furthermore, the NHTSA reports that in 2018, distraction-related accidents caused more than 400,000 injuries and cost an estimated $40 billion in damages annually.
What To Do After a Distracted Driving Accident
If you’ve been injured in a distracted driving accident, the first step is to seek medical attention. Your health and safety should be your number one priority. Once you’re stable, contact a qualified attorney who can help you explore your legal options for recovering compensation for damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and emotional distress.
It’s important to keep the evidence of the accident, such as photos, witness statements, and police reports. This evidence can be used to bolster your case and help prove that you were injured by a distracted driver. When meeting with an attorney, be sure to provide them with any documentation related to the accident.
Finding a Qualified Distracted Driving Accident Attorney
When searching for a qualified distracted driving accident attorney, consider following these steps:
- Research the attorney’s practice area and experience. Make sure they have extensive experience in distracted driving cases and a successful track record of obtaining fair settlements for their clients.
- Talk to friends and family who have worked with an attorney in the past, or ask for referrals from other lawyers you know. This can be helpful in finding an attorney you can trust.
- Look for attorneys who offer a free initial consultation and make sure to ask any questions you have about the case during this meeting.
- Check online reviews and ratings to get a better understanding of the attorney’s reputation, as well as their experience with similar cases.
Why You Need a Distracted Driving Accident Attorney
Having an experienced attorney by your side after a distracted driving accident can make all the difference. From filing paperwork to negotiating with insurance companies, they’ll handle all the legal work so you don’t have to.
As you discuss your legal options with the attorney, they’ll be able to explain any potential benefits you may be entitled to and help you understand exactly what needs to be done in order to get the compensation you deserve.
Ultimately, a distracted driving accident attorney can provide invaluable guidance and support during this difficult time. They will fight for your rights as a victim and help you get the justice you deserve.
Methods of Proving Injuries and Damages in a Distracted Driving Case
In order to receive compensation for a distracted driving accident, you must be able to prove that the other driver was at fault. Proving liability may involve:
- Gathering evidence such as witness statements and photos of the accident scene.
- Obtaining police reports and any other documents related to the case.
- Consulting with experts such as accident reconstruction specialists.
It’s also important to be able to prove the extent of your injuries and damages. Evidence that may be used to demonstrate this include:
- Medical records, bills, and reports from physicians
- Receipts for vehicle repairs and other expenses related to the accident
- Documentation of any lost wages due to time away from work
- Psychological evaluations and other evidence of emotional distress or trauma
- An expert witness may provide testimony regarding the long-term impacts of the accident
Your attorney will review all of this evidence and create a case that can be used to negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company or pursue a civil lawsuit.
Talk to a Distracted Driving Attorney Today!
Distracted driving is an all too common cause of accidents, injuries, and deaths on our roads. If you or someone you love has been injured in a distracted driving accident, it’s important to seek legal counsel from an experienced attorney who can help maximize your chances for recovering damages. By taking the necessary steps to find the right attorney, you can ensure that your case is handled properly and with your best interests in mind. Contact Pathway Law Firm today to get started.